Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

7.25.2011

Yuck!

In my efforts to use the internet to discover something that disgusts me more than the current 'Debt Ceiling Debate' going on in The Other Washington, I was able to find these pictures, which I am borrowing from That National Geographic's Website.


THAT is an algae bloom which has occurred along the Chinese Coast of the now misnamed Yellow Sea.  

THIS is children out SWIMMING IN IT!!!!!!!!!!!



 Grody to the Max. 

 Despite it's amazing green color, this is not related to problems at the nuke plant in Japan...just the right combination of warm water and HUGE amounts of phosphorus and nitrogen runoff from excessive fertilizer usage.  

This current algae bloom is quite large...almost 7,700 square miles, which makes it 20% LARGER than the state of Connecticut.  

I repeat...YUCK.



No comments:

Post a Comment