Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

7.03.2011

What an ass-kicker...

In addition to being WAY to blown away by the bath products dispenser at our hotel yesterday, the other thing that made a big impact on me was noting that Clock Tower Ales was right next to our hotel.  Being a sucker for a good brew pub, it looked like neat place....and after some pouting, my wife said that I could probably go check it out later on that evening.

Actually, there was no pouting.  As soon as we both saw it, she said I could go if I wanted to, because she kicks butt.  If the situation was reveresed, and it had been a Tea House, or a Yarn Shop, I'm sure I would have offered her a similar good deal.

So it was that after we were done running around for the day, and I had the girls in their PJ's settled down watch in a Tom and Jerry DVD in the hotel room, I ran 25 yards away to Clock Tower Ales. 

My initial disappointment at the discovery that they were not a Brew Pub was short lived...while not a brew pub, they did have over thirty taps, with 90% of them being made in Oregon and Washington.  Sadly, there were no Scotch Ales, but the first thing I had tried was the Hazelnut Brown Nectar, by Roque Ales.  Despite it phou-phou name, it was a very good beer...I had a 20oz instead of a 16, because I had only planned to have one beer before going to back to my hotel room and listen to the girls not sleep. 

Halfway through my beer, a nice couple from Seattle came in, and while trying to navigate the 32 beer list, had help from one of the regulars, who pointed them in the direction of The Ace of Spades, an Imperial IPA made by Hopworks, in Portland.  They all seemed very impressed by their beer, so I made the executive decision to try one of those, even though I am not a huge IPA.

What a beast...in what may be a marketing move, the bartender told me that they could only serve pints, not 20oz glasses.  Whatever...I was fine with the pint.  This beer is certainly a sipper...and it was very good for an IPA...although hoppy, the hops was not the only flavor.  And boy, did it pack a punch...9.8% alcohol...

I arrived back the hotel room to find exactly what I thought I would...my wife getting increasingly frustrated because trying to get both girls to fall asleep in the same queen-sized bed.  Maureen, our younger, is a tosser and a turner, while Bella, the older, tends to sleep like a log.  It's one of those things that even though it is expected, it is frustrating.  It wasn't the only thing that was frustrating though...

The Ace of Spades WOULD NOT GO AWAY.  I brushed my teeth twice, and my wife said she could still smell it...no smooches for me! 

I guess it's payback...I do the same thing to her when she has caramelized onions on a sandwich...

The good news is that the flavor was gone this morning...and we are ready for another day of site seeing...

No comments:

Post a Comment