Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

3.25.2012

Work Smarter, not Harder.

Got some of what I wanted to accomplish today done, and gave up on some other things.

The supply of pre-cooked easy to use meat was getting low in the freezer, so Saturday morning I hit Win-co and picked up a few of their boneless pork picnics, and a 5-pound package of chicken thighs.  I rubbed them both down, and proving I wasn't too drunk last night(had a going away party for my buddy and his wife whom are moving back to Wisconsin...7 beers and two shots of Fireball used to not effect me like it did last night) I threw the pork in the oven at 250 degrees before going to bed last night.

Pulled the pork from the oven, and after searing the thighs in a skillet, I threw them in the oven at 275 degrees for about 3 hours. 

When it was all said and done, I had 4 packages of shredded pork, and another 4 packages of shredded chicken thigh individually wrapped and in the freezer.  That way, when we need to add some meat to something for dinner, we have the meat, which is usually the long leg, already to just thaw out and toss into a casserole.  

After lunch, my wife packed the girls up to go stand in front of Safeway to push Girl Scout Cookies.  Cute sells.


After they headed out, I was faced with a beautiful 70-degree afternoon, so I went to the hardware store and picked up some torture tools for the yard, with the goal in mind of attacking a plot of land with a pitchfork so I could start prepping a section of the back yard for a garden. 

Things went much slower than I thought they would.  That is a very healthy lawn out there, and being armed with just a pitch fork, I didn't get nearly as much done as I want to.  At the rate of progress I made, I might have the garden ready in time to plant some pumpkins. 

Tomorrow, I'll call a few of the rental companies in the area, and ask how much it costs to rent a tiller.  I'm not sure what 'too expensive' would be, but if I know me...and I think I do, I'll be willing to pay up to 50% of what it would cost to buy one, OR up to what it would cost to put in a raised bed or two...

Could just be a lot of containers out in the backyard at this rate...

No comments:

Post a Comment