Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

3.23.2012

I forgot what NAVY means...

Back when I was still playing sailor games, we used to joke that Navy meant Never Again Volunteer Yourself. 

Sometimes, we forget our lessons.  Tomorrow, I am sacrificing five or 6 hours to participate in Sharefest, which is a volunteer opportunity run by all the local churches.  It's the kind of thing I think that churches should be doing, getting out and doing good things for people and the community, and even a non-religious guy like me can get behind that.

Last year, my family and I helped build and fill raised garden plots at a community park...and it was a back buster...6 hours of filling and moving wheel-barrows full of soil and manure. This year, I signed up for something a little easier on the back...cleaning and weeding the concrete flower beds at a local shopping plaza.

I also ended up accepting a position as the Team Leader, allowing me to set a steady pace for the day...

Can't wait to crack the whip on my kids...

No comments:

Post a Comment