Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

7.06.2012

You gotta trust a guy named Guy.

Having been relatively 'good' the first few days of our vacation(eating the 'free' continental breakfast at the hotel, and then one cheaper meal and one decent meal(or better than decent) meal out, a timely TV show allowed me to convince my wife to splurge the last day.

We I watch A LOT of Diners, Drive-in's and Dives around here.  It's just a convenient 'background' type show, along with Man vs. Food, Mythbusters, Deadliest Catch or Dirty Jobs.  I know the host, Guy Fieri, isn't everyone's 'cup-of-tea', but he's turned into a great advertisement for a restaurant. 

The first season the show was on, they visited a place on Bainbridge Island that my wife and I had previously eaten at, and greatly enjoyed.  Based off that trust, the next time we ate in Seattle, we made sure to try breakfast at Voula's Off-Shore Cafe after it was featured on 'Triple D'.  Since then, if we are road-tripping, I've tried to keep an eye out for a Triple D endorsed restaurant if we are traveling. 

It was fortuitous then, that while we were watching TV in the hotel room Monday night, Triple D featured a place in Coeur D'Alene called Capone's.  I couldn't remember seeing that episode before, and neither could my wife...but man, did their pizza look good.  It didn't take much work on my part to convince my wife that we should just pack some bananas and animal crackers for the 4 hour drive from Deer Lodge to CDL, so that we arrived in town ready for some pizza.

Capone's was as good as advertised...we had their Garlic Chicken Pizza and a 5-Cheese for the girls.  It was some good, good pizza, with a GREAT crust.  The roasted garlic on the pizza was 'like butta'.  Sometimes, when a place puts whole garlic cloves on a pizza, they are still crunchy...this melted in your mouth. Capone's also has about 30-35 beers on tap, and that was good, because it helped me take a late afternoon nap before trying to stay up to watch the fireworks.  Service was very on the spot.  If there was a negative, it was that the pizza did not store very well...something happened chemically with stuff as it sat in the fridge, and man, did it make me stinky.

The following morning, stomach all back together, we went to breakfast at a place called Jimmy's Down the Street, which I had scouted from DDD.  We were up and going in a timely manner on the 5th, and got seated right away, which was great...when we left, there was a 20 minute wait.  Service was GREAT, and you could tell the waitresses, all who looked to be in their 50's, were enjoying their job.

Was the food good?  Oh yeah...


The plate might have looked more 'breakfasty' if the gravy was smothered over the plate instead of being in a bowl, but, I actually kind of liked it better with not everything being drowned.  For my heart, I actually think I used less of the gravy...but it was good...and the biscuit, which I missed in my picture, was THE BEST I've ever had.  The rest of the meal?  It was good...I got chicken fried steak strips, and they were good.  As good as the biscuit?  No...can't even say the chicken fried steak would make my top 5...but, that doesn't mean it wasn't good...just not perfect. 



My wife also enjoyed her breakfast...a sour cream and chive scramble...as she agreed with my opinion of the biscuit as the BEST EVER.  My kids ordered french toast sticks...but what they really got was fried dough strips, and yummy, yummy, yummy. 

Along with Scrud's, that was three pretty okay restaurants in CDL...can't wait to go back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment