Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

7.20.2012

Oh, crap.

Breaking news on all the major news channels about a shooting that occurred overnight at a premier of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colorado...and not just any shooting...a 'Mass Shooting.'  Early reports are 12-14 dead, with upwards of 50 wounded.  Witnesses are saying he burst in through the emergency exit door wearing a bullet proof jacket and riot helmet, set off a smoke grenade, and started mowing folks down.

Witnesses report nothing but chaos. A guy they were just interviewing on HLN was saying you couldn't tell what was going on, and I can only imagine.  Dark movie theater, with plenty of noise and explosions...some folks thought the increased noise and smoke were part of  a movie theater promotion.

I hate it....and it makes me sad.  I mean, now Fox has updated things to 15 dead.  Heck...with my wife and kids out of town this weekend, I flirted with the idea of catching a midnight showing of this movie, but I got tired, so I went to bed.  Granted, this didn't happen in Kennewick...but it COULD.  It could happen anywhere.  It's a consequence of living in what is still a fairly open society.

And so now, in addition to being sad because there are HUNDREDS of lives between the dead, wounded, and family members who have been irreparably damaged, I am also going to have deal with various renewed attacks on a facet of my life style, as an evil gun owner. 

With them taking the guy alive(well, the suspected shooter...although when the cops catch you with smoking guns and a bullet proof vest, I'm not sure why I'm saying 'suspected'), I wonder whether the end game will be more or less frustrating.  What I'm saying is...at least suicide by cop ends up with the shooter DEAD.  With him being taken alive, I wouldn't be willing to take anything less than 10-1 odds that he will face final justice.  Hell...I think it's a coin toss about whether or not he will even be found sane and serve ANY jail time.

Sorry....fairly disjointed here...I'm sure others will say it better and clearer than me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment