Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

7.24.2012

The Silver Sage

When exposed to music as a kid, you can react to one of two ways: reject what your parents listen to, or embrace it.  Because my parents listened to good music, I embraced it: The Beatles, The Eagles, Neil Diamond and The Silver Sage...Kenny Rogers. 

I think I just made that name up, but it feels kind of appropriate.  I can't think of anyone that has been silver longer than Kenny Rogers, and it has always looked appropriate.  My wife, giving the female opinion, has always said it would be okay if I came out looking like Kenny Rogers, but it would have to be pre-surgery Kenny, not post surgery Kenny/Joan Rivers hybrid.

picture from www.plasticsurgerystar.com
Can you doubt he is a sage?  If there is a more quotable song than 'The Gambler', I don't know what it is.  Then there are songs that might not be quotable, but are full of wisdom.  'Don't Fall in Love with a Dream', 'You Picked a Fine Time to Leave, Lucille', 'She Believed in Me'...and my favorite Kenny Rogers song of all...Coward of the County, where Tommy convinces the ghost of his father, that 'sometimes you gotta fight when you're a man' before opening a righteous can of whoop ass on the Gatlin boys.

Whatever the plastic surgeon did to his face, they didn't effect his abilty to tell a story, and teach a lesson.  On the way into work today, I heard one of his more recent songs, and I took it as a sign of something I had to do on the way home from work.



It's good advise.  I tell my wife every day that I love her...several times.  It doesn't always have the same impact as stopping at the store and picking up a bouquet of flowers...and they don't need to be roses.  My wife says she likes carnations, which works good for me, because they are cheaper, and actually last quite a while. 

Too bad Dolly Parton didn't write a companion song about back rubs...

No comments:

Post a Comment