Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

7.15.2012

Back Seat Driving

Was reading what should have been a heartwarming 'Home Invitation Thwarted Because the Bad Guy Done Got Shot' story, but the 2nd to last paragraph caught my eye...

'The husband warned the suspect again and then fired a shot through the door, wounding the suspect.'

Hey, I was happy as a clam in the mud first reading about this incident...the initial write up makes it sound like the homeowner gave plenty of warning before pulling the trigger...I just question the wisdom of shooting the suspect through the door.  Granted...if you let him open the door, it puts you at increased risk from any weapon he might have, but...shooting THROUGH the door gives me all kinds of heebie-jeebies about target identification, and opens a lot of room for 'was your life REALLY at risk' type questions. 

I just don't think it's a decision that I would have made...I would have taken cover behind something with my gun and flashlight, blinded the guy as soon as he walked in, and given him one last chance...not that he deserved.  I just couldn't take the chance it was kids goofing off outside my front door. 

Read more here: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/crime/2012/07/14/tacoma-resident-shoots-and-wounds-break-in-suspect-during-attempted-home-invasion/#storylink=cpy

2 comments:

  1. shooting through the door could well land him with Manslaughter charges. They have to set foot INSIDE your residence without your permission.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto for Virginia.

    If the door isn't even open yet, you've got a tough time explaining why you pulled the trigger.

    ReplyDelete