Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

7.16.2012

Shyness

From late elementary school through the completion of high school, I was in several choirs, and several plays/stage musicals.  I sang the National Anthem at a Regional Wrestling Tournament for around 1000 people, and as part of a quartet at my high school graduation for closer to 2000.  I've never had a problem giving speeches or training for any size group. 

Moving to the present, I have no problem sharing various facets of my life with whom ever might swing through bored enough to read it.

Put me in a one-on-one type situation though...and I get all kinds of nervous and shy.  Case in point is the fact that I have spent all morning and most of the afternoon staring at the list of 6 phone numbers I wrote down after my scouting trip through Pomeroy.  Cold calling these farmers has me shakier than anything I've done in a long time...and it makes no sense.  I've never met these guys before...if they tell me no, I'll never meet them again, and worst case, all they tell me is no, meaning I'm not worse off than I was on Saturday. 

So why am I staring at the list of numbers trying to work up the courage to ask my Personal Secretary(my amazing wife) to make the calls for me?

It's not just this situation, either...I just get really, really nervous the first time I meet/talk to someone, whether it's on the phone or in person. 

Some grown up I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment