Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

7.01.2012

That's a tasty burger...

If you ever find yourself cruising through Couer D'Alene, Idaho and think, Boy Do I Need  a Hamburger, then the place to go is Scrud's Gourmet Grub. 

After our afternoon took a zig yesterday, we then had to zag on our dinner plans, and instead of one of Spokane's finer brewpubs, we had to scramble to find someplace in Couer D'Alene.  Since my wife seemed to be in a hamburger mood, Yelp research lead us to Scrud's. 

Even if you serve tasty food, which Scrud's does, you need a gimic in the restaurant business, and Scrud's has two of them: 'Stuffed' burgers, and vintage soda's. 

If you are like me, and you watch a lot of M vs. F, and DDD(Man vs. Food, Diners, Drive-in's, and Dives), you might have seen 'stuffed burgers' before.  Basically, you take two thin patties, and put your fixin's inside those two patties.  Scrud's had about 7 'permenant varieties' and then a few specials for the 4th of July week.  They both terrified me: The M-80, with Ghost Chili Cream Cheese and jalapeno's, of the All American...1 pound of beef with bacon, bratwurst and american cheese in the middle.  The M-80 sounded terrifiyingly hot, the All American burger seemed certain to kill me(and if it didn't, my wife would). 

They also had several other One Pound Plus, or Spicey challanges so you could write your name or get your picture on the wall...but in the end, I passed on those.

I ended up ordering their Bo Sox burger(bacon and blue cheese in the middle) while my wife got the Zeus(feta cheese, and gyro meat in the middle, with tzatziki sauce on it.  After ordering it, she said it is never something she would have thought of ordering on a burger.

In her words...Best Burger She's Ever Had.  If I have had a better burger than my Bo Sox, I can't name where it was from. 

I would have taken pictures, but that would have required me to put down the burger...and it was one of those burgers that was soooooo juicy, if you set down, you weren't going to pick it back up in one piece.

The fries that went with it was good too...you could see the cook in the back putting potatoes on the french fry cutter as orders came in.

Fabulous. 

The vintage sodas were neat also...they had about 10 bottles soda selections, each made back when you put real sugar in soda.  I had a Moxie, my wife had Dad's Root Beer, and my older daughter got an old fashioned Orange Soda...she couldn't believe how much it actually tasted like orange.

After that dinner, I didn't really argue with my wife when she suggested we just eat the continental breakfast at La Quinta this morning...

1 comment:

  1. I love those vintage sodas. I don't drink the stuff much anymore, but I bought some Pepsi Throwback last year. I think I could start drinking it again...

    ReplyDelete