Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

8.27.2011

Some things are lower than others...

I'm not a perfect angel...occasionally I do break some laws...I speed, I don't signal turns.  At my previous job, I may have occasionally used the internet for non-work related activities...that kind of thing, but on an overall scale, I certainly think of myself as one of the Good Guys.

When it comes to the bad guys, I think we can all agree that some bad guys are worse than others...I mean, it's why we have different sentencing requirements for different crimes.  There are also different sorts of bad....you can have Heinous Crimes(murder, and my recent rant about rape show's where I fall on those), and then you can have just plain Low Crimes.  Low as in Shame on You. 

Stealing is bad, but where you steal should have a much bigger effect on your punishment....and if not your punishment, than I hope it ends up on your karma.  Robbing big screen T.V.s and high end electronics from a neighborhood of McMansions?  You have broken the law...go to jail, don't do it again.

What Low?  Break into a cemetery and steal 400 Brass Vases from grave markers, or today's example that trigger this whole rant: act as Treasurer for a non-profit charity, in this case The Ronald McDonald House, and embezzle $112,000 over a three year period to fund your gambling habit. 

Really...you are gonna steal money from a charity that tries to make things easier for folks as they attempt to cope with medical treatments for their often terminally ill children?

WTF!?!?!?!?!?? 

If convicted, Randall Morrison, could face up to 20 years in jail.  Yeah right, for this dollar amount, he MIGHT do 6-12 months.  But, this is where our courts are messed up.  Wouldn't the right thing to do be to sentence him to work in a children leukemia ward for about 3 years?  Let him see how these families live when their child is fading?  THAT'S WHO HE WAS STEALING FROM!!!!!  A few months in jail working on college courses and working out is NOT adequate punishment for lives he may have made tougher.

Heck, it's not even adequate punishment for the way he has ruined my Saturday morning thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment