Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

8.31.2011

Double Shifts are LAME.

As I approach the 1-year point at my new job, I am still trying to decide if I like it better than my last job...it has good points, and bad points.  One thing I have not trouble putting into the 'not like' category is the way that overtime is handled at my new job.  I've bitched about it before, and I doubtless will again. 

At my old job, overtime was addressed one week at a time.  Weekends were handled separately, but for during the week OT, if your current project was on OT, you were going to be working OT, and it was handled on scheduled 10 or 12's.  Not having done things any differently, I complained mightily that the Shipyard's way of doing things was Jacked-Up.  Oh, how wrong I was.

At Hanford, OT is handled on a daily basis.  Notifications go out anywhere between 10am and 3:30pm, and, for the Union Personnel a mad dash then ensues to fill all the requested slots.  For us exempt staff personnel, we get to decide if a job is complex enough to require management oversight.  If it is, about 50% of the time, someone will volunteer...occasionally though, it does turn into an arm-wrestling tournament to see who is sticking around.  It's not even this 'free-for-all' style chaos that annoys me...it's that the OT is worked as double shifts.  I am too darn old to work from 6:45 in the morning until 11:30 at night..  ICK! 

Of course, I wouldn't be complaining about this right now if yesterday hadn't been my turn in the barrel. 

Getting home at 11:55 and having to be back in at 6:45 the next morning leaves me precious little time for internet surfing, which is why you fine folks have been stuck with my review of an OKAY 1980's movie as my sole contribution to society for the last 36 hours....

No comments:

Post a Comment