Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

9.29.2011

There is always something worse...

So, in the past I have complained mightily and with much sniveling about how much I dislike working double-shifts for overtime at my job.  Today, I learned that there is something worse than working a swing's double shift(0700-2330)....working a GRAVEYARD(2330-1630) double shift.

Ick...so normally we get off at 4:30 in the afternoon...yesterday I was able to sneak out a little early to attempt to prepare myself for the overnight shift.  I crawled into bed about 3:30 in the afternoon, and took a nap until the smell of dinner cooking caught my attention, making me go downstairs to visit my with my family for a bit.  I finally crawled back into bed about 6:30, with the alarm set to wake me up at 10PM.

Turns out there was no alarm needed....I simply tossed and turned, and looked at the clock every 15 minutes, until finally, about 9:15 I thought falling to sleep then make things worse instead of better, so...yeah, headed into work last night on the strength of a 1.5 hour nap.  Yay!

Luckily, the job we were coming for actually happened, and we made forward progress.  Once again, sticking with my 'there is always something worse' theory...going in at 11:30 to do nothing has GOT to be worse


Once day-shift rolled around, work slowed to it's normal glacial pace, to the point where my amazing boss told me I should take off shortly after lunch.  Not one to need to be told something twice, I bailed....and I guess technically I still haven't worked a graveyard double shift, because I didn't make it all the way through the 2nd shift.

And now, I am home, and totally useless.  At least on a swing shift, I am still able to come home and get 5 hours of sleep before going having to go back to work...now with a whole 1.5 hours of sleep yesterday, I am getting more yawning and head bobbing than progress made.

Oh well...This is where I am supposed to say I am blessed just to have a job, and I am...but it's a tired blessing.

Check back later for non-whining related content.

No comments:

Post a Comment