Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

4.14.2012

So nice they named it twice.

Just got back from Walla Walla with my wife.  It was a great time away from the 'real world' of being parents.  The only negative from the trip is that it didn't last long enough.  I love my children to death, and I wouldn't trade them for anything...but I also wouldn't mind another 10-years of child free weekends. 

Okay...there is another negative:  I couldn't afford to be a wine-tasting childless Romeo every weekend.  Visiting wineries and lacking will power can get expensive. 


Hey...if you notice, there are 7 bottles of wine, which means at 1 of the 4 wineries we only bought 1 bottle!  A cynic might think that is because the wine cost twice as much at that winery...I prefer to think of it as willpower baby!

Plus, by that point, I had to help my wife get back to the truck.  I'm not sure how people do 'all day' wine country tours...4 wineries is 1.5 hours and she was DUN.

The meat in the picture didn't come from a winery, but rather an organic farmer here in town that we stopped at on the way home...some THICK cut bacon(7 slices per pound) and some apple sausage for breakfast tomorrow.

What did we do other than wine tasting?  We had dinner at Jacobi's Italian Cafe, and breakfast at the aptly named Bacon and Eggs.  Dinner wasn't bad, but the breakfast was better.  You can usually tell a good local place by the line, and at Bacon and Eggs, the line was out the door.  I had some outstanding chorizo and eggs, and my wife had really good Crab Cake Eggs Benedict. 




My wife said the poached eggs on her breakfast(which I initially took to be sour cream) were perfect.  I prefer scrambled, but I can say that her hash-browns had the 'just right' mixture of crisp too soft.

I would compare the dinner we had the night before to the hotel stayed at, The Marcus Whitman...pretensions of being something more than it was.  Walking into the hotel, we were both very impressed by the lobby...and the front desk help was very polite, with plenty of sirs, ma'ams, and thank you's.  The room itself was nice looking...king size bed, nice wall mounted flat screen TV...but the bed was too hard, and the pillow's too soft.  Also...the was no closet in the hotel room, in fact, no place at all the hang up a few pieces of clothing or coats if we had worn them.  Kind of strange.

The restaurant was kind of the same...very nice looking, with part of the dining room being in a romantically decorated train dining car.  The food wasn't bad, but also wasn't blow me away.  I had manicotti with a crab alfredo...it tasted well enough, but it was a strange orange color when it came out...I had left my phone in the truck, or I would have taken a picture of it. 

Other than food and wine, we just did a decent amount of driving around in town.  Walla Walla is a nice town.  Agriculture, wineries and Whitman College have combined for a relaxed feel, with a large number of very cute, well maintained end of 19th century houses. 

It feels like the kind of place that would make my short list of towns to relocate too after winning the lottery. 



No comments:

Post a Comment