Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

9.01.2012

Because, in the end, you can't beat free with a stick.

On Thursday, one of my co-workers brought in a bag of peaches from the tree in his yard.  At the end of the day, as everyone was getting ready to go home for a 4-day weekend, the bag was still there, and since he said he had NO intention of bringing them back home, and no one else was gonna grab them, I did.

I guess there was about 6-7 pounds of peaches in the bag, and while they weren't the Alberta peaches my wife prefers to can, and a couple of them were pretty beat up...HELLO!  Did I mention the price?

All in all, because I had to do some pretty heavy cutting out of bruises, I ended up with only 3 pints...but, that's three pints of peaches that cost me NOTHING(well, I used about 2.5 cups of sugar to make the syrup)...and if I didn't grab them, they would have rotted away on the counter at work over the weekend. 



2 comments:

  1. At a place I used to work at, a senior coworker had a few acres he would plant on. He brought in all kinds of stuff and nobody would take it. So I would. It was great while it lasted. It was like having a second super-sized garden that you didn't have to weed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate... to debate the point. Nothing is free, it is just that sometimes the recipient doesn't pay the price. And, when that happens, it is the epitome of capitalism, so long as it was agreed to by all parties at no real loss. That is how America really was founded, then developed... until the industrial revolution which truly created slaves (freeing blacks only freed Southern slaves, not the ones the North used to win the war, bah!) Good show.

    ReplyDelete