Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

2.08.2014

There is always a negative.

Canning.  There are a lot of positives to it.  It's a useful skill to learn, and I am proud of what my wife and I have done with it over the last three years or so.

However...there is a down side to canning...and it's those stupid glass jars.  They are much less forgiving than metal cans, or the plastic jugs store bought syrups and jellies come in. 

This morning, I went out to  the garage to grab a few jars of a strawberry/peach syrup my wife made a year or two ago.  It was a supposed to be a jam, but it didn't quite set...but it makes a great sauce base.  I was going to combine it with some chili sauce to get a crockpot of meatballs going for a card game I'm going to tonight. 

Of course, as I was trying to reach back a row, I scrapped my hand on the shelf above, dropping a very unforgiving 12-ounce jar on the hard concrete jar of the garage.  Calamity ensued...it looked like someone's throat had been cut out there. 

Even better...even though I swept, I'm sure every time I run out to the garage for something over the next 6 months, and I'm in too big of a hurry to put on shoes, I'm going to find one of those little glass slivers I missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment