Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

2.11.2011

ME WANT!!!!!!

On the way home from work today, I stopped at Ace Hardware to pick up a few boxes of Sellier & Bellot .380 for a trip to the range tomorrow with my wife.  .380 is one of the few things I have guns for, but have less than 750 rounds of on hand.  I still can't get over paying more for a box of .380 than I do for a box of 9mm...oh well. 

While there, I a gentleman was filling out the paperwork to pick-up a new purchase.  Noticing the Kel-Tec box, I scooted closer to see what it was.  The gentleman seemed quite happy to show off his new toy, as well he should be...it was a brand new PMR-30...






I'm sure some credit for this photo goes to Mr. Oleg Volk...

The gentleman was even kind enough to let my handle the gun...very light...not sure how heavy it would be with 30 rounds of .22 magnum in it, but, it fit the hand well.  Quick research on Chuck Hawk shows .22 Mag out of a 6 inch barrel revolver is 175ft-lbs.  Figure lose some speed out of the Kel-tec, but that still compares somewhat favorably to a .380, which comes in at 200 Ft-lbs for the Federal Hydra-Shok and Remington Golden Sabre.  The big thing of course, would be 30 rounds, vs.8 rounds in my wife's Firestorm.  Given the choice of shooting someone 2 or 3 times with a .380, or 7 or 8 times with a .22 Magnum...I think you would have a hurting person on your hands either way. 

While .22 WMR is not as cheap as .22lr, it is still cheaper than .380...Midway has 50 round boxes of CCI Maxi-Mag for 10.30.  I think if I ever get a PMR-30, I would choose to load it with FMJ over H.P, seeking penetration over expansion. 

And make no mistake, I do hope to get one.  I have never been the type of guy who needed ANYTHING(computer game, technological gadget, new gun) as soon as it was released...I prefer to let other people do my product testing for me. 

One regret for the day is that I forgot to ask the guy what he was paying for it...they don't have them on sale in the store, so I haven't been able to see a price for one yet.  Davidson's website says MSRP of $415....usually prices come in below that, but until the 'newness' wears off, the PMR-30 might be selling for above MSRP. 

Might have the first thing to put on my Christmas List....

No comments:

Post a Comment