Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

2.26.2011

Alone

Wife and kids just got in the car to go visit my mom for the weekend.  They are planning on spending Saturday and Sunday night, with my wife swinging by our house that is for sale to check on it at some point.  If I went, we would have had to come back Sunday evening, and with the rising price of gas, I am not sure the 500 mile round trip is worth it for one night...not that I don't love my mommy still, but...there are times you have to balance Expense vs. Reward. 

One of the things that I am eternally grateful for is how well my mom and my wife get along.  It could be that the stereotype of feuding spouses and in-laws are just created by Hollywood...but even so, they get along better than I ever could have hoped. It's been that way since the beginning, so it is not like they are just acting nice to each other for my girls benefits...

It has made things easier for me.  We were married on the east coast and moved cross-country less than two weeks later.  Prior to that, the furthest my wife had even been from her mom was a couple of hundred miles, for a week or two.  It was a pretty major change for her, and my mom stepped in and provided a lot more family feel for her than I could.  They might occasionally have a discussion or two about what counts as 'spoiling' in regards to my kids, and my wife wishes like hell(me too) that my mom would stop smoking...but...those are minor.  All in all, it's a very good relationship, and  one of the toughest things about moving to this new job was that it put the Cascade Mountains in between us.

I of course, have no really big plans for my weekend of freedom.  There are three baskets of laundry in my bedroom right now, begging for my attention, and I am trying to decide if I want to use the apartments laundry room and drag it out, or go to a laundromat in town and knock it out.  Then....ummmm....yeah.  Maybe do some blogging or something...

So exciting...no wonder I have so many visitors...tune in later and we can talk about doing dishes!

2 comments:

  1. Crank up the tunes and dance in your underwear! Order a pizza and leave the box on the coffee table overnight! It's probably not as fun as it once might have been, but it's all in the spirit of having the place to yourself for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just had pizza last night with my kids....maybe substitute some teriyaki and pj's for undies...it's pretty cold in in Washington right now...cold snaps supposed to end tomorrow though.

    ReplyDelete