Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

2.10.2011

And sometimes, we don't agree...

When we initially moved into this apartment, and we didn't know how long we were going to be paying rent for the Apartment, AND mortgage on the house in Belfair, some of the things we agreed we could do without were a land-line phone, and a big cable package.  All we ended up getting for cable was the 'Basic
Package...and then only because the cable company only wanted $3 more for Basic and the Internet than they would have charged me for just the internet.

As a result of only having 9 channels of TV that aren't selling something(merchandise OR salvation), showing politics, or in Spanish, when we are in the mood for something mindless, 90% of the time it comes streaming through our Wii from netflix.  This has resulted in us watching several series that we just never got around to watching when they were originally on. 

Most of them, my  wife and I have agreed were enjoyable: A British series called 'Survivors', Dead Like Me, Bones, and seasons 6-10 of South Park, which we just didn't get to watch a lot of...staying up to watch it in real time was keeping me up past my bed time.

The last two weeks, my wife was watching the first two seasons of Damages, with Glenn Close.  It is a legal drama, but not like Law and Order.  It's not that I am unintelligent, but there was WAY to much double crossing/screwing each other over for me to keep track of...she watched one episode while I was at work, and it was all over for me.  That, and one of the main plot points of the series is what a cast-iron Bitch Glenn Close's character is.  Believing someone would willingly work for this woman is asking me to suspend belief more than I am able.  Giant transforming robots...got it.  Someone allowing themselves to be debased the way Patty Hewes(Glenn Close's character) does to people...nope. 

Just this week, my wife started working on Buffy, the Vampire Slayer.  I was about 3 or 4 years too old(and too macho) to watch the Buffy Series when it was on T.V.  Watching it now, I'm not sure I was missing anything.  Many fans of Firefly are really fans of Joss Whedon, and first cut their teeth on Buffy, so there must be some redeeming qualities somewhere in this series.  So far, the only thing I have really gotten out of the series is how OH MY GOD HOT Sarah Michelle Gellar was on this series.  I'm pretty sure that even as someone who didn't watch this series I was aware, at the time(because of Cruel Intentions), that SMG was hot...like Top 10 hot...but then she did Scooby Doo...and, I wrote her off. 

After season 5 of Buffy, I suspect my wife will also want to watch Angel.  Watching Bones has given her a fairly major case of the hots for David Boreanaz.  My hope is that I can convince her to alternate that with episodes of my next choice, either 'Dexter', or 'Band of Brothers' when it shows up from Netflix on actual DVD's. 

I've gotten so used to streaming through my Wii, it feels very old-fashioned now to have to wait for something to come in the mail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment