Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

2.05.2011

Bacon disappointment.

Earlier this week, I committed myself to making a Bacon Explosion for my buddies Superbowl
 gathering this weekend.  I had two choices...use some of the high-quality butcher block bacon my wife bought for me when it was on sale, or look for the best 'on sale deal now' to preserve my stash of bacon.  While at Win-Co, I found a likely looking selection of bacon, choosing to go with


2 pound package for $4.50...not a bad price.  The bacon looked nice and thick, so I picked up two packages.  Problem solved, and my bacon in the freezer was safe.

This morning, I decided to cook up some bacon and scrambled eggs for the girls, and get a jump start on cooking my crumbled bacon for inside the Explosion.

Inside this package, I found some of the fattiest bacon I have ever had.  I have brought home bags of 'ends and pieces' with more usable meat than I found inside this package. 



I am a big fan of bacon grease...I keep a jar of it in my fridge to use with other cooking applications.  This was just too much though...I was ending up with tiny, shrived little things that looked like sizzle-lean.  It might work diced up, but there was NO way I could weave this stuff up to work as the outer layer of a quality Bacon Explosion. Sadness engulfed me, and I took two packages of vacuum sealed, high quality(MY!) bacon out of the freezer to thaw out. 

Lesson learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment