Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

1.24.2013

Never gets old.

There are many things in parenting that grow old and stale very quickly.  One of the things that I can do again, and again, and again is give my daughters a tough time for their improper use of 'Can I do X?' instead of 'May I do X?'

A typical scenario would play out like this:

Daughter: 'Dad, can I have a granola bar?'

Asshole Dad: 'Yes you can.'

Daughter then goes to the garage, and gets a granola bar, which she starts to open.

Asshole Dad: 'Whoa!  Wait a minute...what are you doing?!?!?!?'

Daughter: 'You said I could have a granola bar'.

AD: 'Yes...I said you could have one, meaning you were physically able.  You didn't ask if you may have one, meaning that you have permission.  Here...let me eat half of that granola bar to teach you a lesson.

I hope to be able to do this for about 10 years...

No comments:

Post a Comment