Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

8.15.2012

I know it's not winter yet, but...

I couldn't wait any longer to harvest one of my Hubbard squash. 



Most of the stuff I've read about winter squash tells you to leave them on the vine until the vine dies, and then allow them to cure a few additional days outside.  That sounds great...if you want to allow the squash to fully cure so you can put it in the garage or another cool place throughout the whole winter. 

I'm not against doing that with some of my hubbard squash...but I'm not sure I need to do that with 6 or 7 of them.  I couldn't come up with a good reason not to pull one of them out of the garden now, and give it a try over the weekend.  The one up above weighed in at about 14 pounds, which is only about 2/3rds of their possible maximum.

I'll have to see if I have the patience to allow any of them to reach that size.

No comments:

Post a Comment