Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

8.19.2012

Before, and After

With no real plans for my Sunday, I decided the time had come to tackle doing something with the Hubbard Squash I pulled out of my garden earlier this week. 


The first part is getting it taken apart.  With a big Hubbard that has been through the field curing and hardening process, the usually involves placing the squash inside a clean paper bag, and dropping it.  You can then use a man-style knife of hammer to get into smaller pieces.  Once it is suitably sized, you then make the seeds go away and place the chunks, skin sized down, on a foiled lined baking sheet.  Roast in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour or so...or until you can start flaking the flesh from the skin.




Remove the roasted squash from the oven, and let it cool until you can begin scooping out the meat.  As a point of reference, I ended up with just over 4 pounds of cooked flesh from a 13.5 pound squash...but I was pretty merciless in what I disposed of as skin.  As you can tell from the picture, the green goes in a fair bit...and I got rid of anything that wasn't a golden orange. 

So then, what do you do with 4+ pounds of squash?  Well, I fed it into the food processor in 1 pound batches until it's smooth.  Two of those went into the freezer.  1 batch will be for dinner tonight(just mix in some butter and Cinnamon sugar...maybe a splash of orange juice if you are feeling daring).  The final pound?

Everything I've read on the Internet says that Hubbard squash is an ideal pumpkin substitute. 



The smell was heavenly...looking forward to trying it out tonight after dinner.  If it's good, rest assured I will be back to brag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment