Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

1.22.2012

Tell me I'm a good man.

If I'm sitting on the couch, and tears are running down my face as a movie draws to a close, there is a really good chance that I'm watching 'Saving Private Ryan'.  This is true even if I just watched it the day before(TNT had Private Ryan on a few times this weekend, and FX had Unforgiven on a few times...good movie weekend). 

'Saving Private Ryan' isn't the only movie that makes me a little weapy...other movies with that effect are 'Backdraft', the original 'Charlotte's Web' and 'Watership Down'(no, I'm not still 8 years old).

My wife kind of gets it.  She acknowledges that it's sad when Tom Hank's charecter dies...but that's not really it.  For me, it's the flash forward to the cemetary, where James Ryan asks his wife to tell him if he's been a good man. 

I don't think women have this need.  I mean...my wife doesn't seem to have it, and...I don't know enough other women that intimately to know if they do.  My wife is much more secure with her place in the work, and her impact on those around her.  She has our amazing kids to prove that she's doing things right.  I don't. 

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I have the same amazing kids, and an even more amazing wife, who tells me several times a day she loves me.  So...I'm doing the family thing right. 

Sigh.  I blame it on Hollywood, and books, and Sunday nights.  There are very few movies, or books about a guy playing in the snow with his kids, or taking his wife to a winery to listen to a band on Saturday night.  Shouldn't there at least be a few zombies to shoot on the way home from the winery?

Nope...and now, after having a great LONG weekend(thanks to the snow!) my Sunday evening is counting down, and in the morning, I need to wake up and go to work...and while there might be some drooling by my co-workers, they won't be zombies...and I wouldn't be a hero for treating them like they are...

Well, maybe one or two of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment