Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

10.18.2011

Turkey and WHAT chili?

One of the many pleasant benefits of being a happily married man is getting home from work, and finding that dinner is (sometimes)all ready to go on the stove/in the oven.  Usually, I have a pretty good idea of what she has planned, but sometimes, she plays coy just to surprise me.

Today was one of those coy days, but when I opened the door, it smelled pretty good, so I didn't have my guard up when SWMBO told me that what was cooking away in the big pot on the stove was Turkey and Butternut Squash Chili.    The turkey part didn't bother me...if a recipe calls for ground meat in our place, it's either going to be venison or turkey...I don't think I have bought ground beef in 9 months or so.  I'll admit to having reservations about the butternut squash part of the recipe though, but because I want to keep coming home to dinner in progress, well....I kept my reservations to myself.

My concerns were totally groundless...the Turkey and Butternut Squash Chili was really good...and for something made by my wife, it had a very acceptable level of heat(as a father of two girls, one of the things I have resigned myself to is a lifetime of non-spicy home cooked meals).  The really good news to go along with this is that it was a big enough pot that I get to have some for lunch tomorrow, and there was still enough to freeze for a whole other meal some night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment