Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

10.23.2011

2nd verse, same as the first.

Luckily, I have an amazing wife who will not hold me to silly statement's like' if my buddy and I can't get a deer on this guys farm, I might as well sell all my hunting stuff.'

Deer were seen: In the dark, in peoples drive ways, on the school football field.  Just not where we were between half-an-hour before dawn to half-an-hour after sunset. 


I can't complain about fog interupting my line of sight, which was somewhere around infinity.  Thank gosh for pretty vistas. I even got an opportunity to break out my spotting scope, which I mainly used to watch people drive around in their tractors, plowing their fields under for winter. 

Sigh.
I guess that would be the big question I would ask next time I get permission to hunt someones wheat fields...when exactly do you harvest your wheat and start plowing your fields under?  This in not placing any blame on Mr. Craig Wilson...it was very kind of him to let us hunt his land.  I knew as soon as we arrived that things might get tough...even a non-farmer like me can assume deer are going to be less interested in wheat stubble and plowed under dirt than they are in fields of wheat and alfalfa. 

It's kind of placing blame on the State of Washington, for placing modern firearm hunters on the tail end of hunting seasons...after the rut, after the fields are harvested, after muzzle loader and archery guys have been chasing the deer around for a month already.  Turning it around though, it's yet more incentive for me to swap to muzzle loading.

Oh well...time to put the past behind, and focus on elk season starting next weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment