Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

5.24.2013

Donating blood

Once upon a time, I used to be a fairly regular donor of blood.  I even earned my 4 gallon pin from Puget Sound Blood Center for being a regular customer. 

Then I stopped giving shortly after we moved to the Tri-Cities.  It wasn't entirely my idea...they kept chasing me away saying my blood pressure was too high to allow me to donate safely.  I tried convincing them that removing the blood as a donation would actually correct my high blood pressure, but I didn't have much luck with that argument.  Eventually, being turned away from donating was one of the things that convinced me to go to my doctor to be placed on lisinopril. 

Earlier this week, I got a call from the local Red Cross, with the typical 'blood supplies are low, please come donate spiel.'  Sure I said, schedule me.

I don't mind giving blood.  The needles don't bother me, and I have been in and out in as little as half an hour before.  It's one of those small things you can do to try and maybe help someone out some day.  I used to joke that it was helping me earn Heaven Points. 

As another postive side even, being down a pint also helps to make me a really cheap date...one, maybe two beers and I am done. 

1 comment:

  1. I used to give, but didn't think you could give while taking medicines? I suppose I ought to check into it. I don't mind giving, mostly.

    ReplyDelete