Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

3.23.2013

Hooray for pots!

After a week in which my wife was teasing her east coast relatives because she got to wear sandals(the high hit 71 degrees one day last week), much like the whole rest of the nation, winter seems unwilling to give up quite yet, and has come back.

While there is no snow for us in the Tri-cities area, we have gotten a return of cold weather...overnight lows last night in Pasco were 21 degrees, with Richland staying a balmy 25. 

As you might imagine, this can do a number on agriculture.  The two cherry trees across the street which looked all beautiful and springlike on Thursday now look like something the cat drug in.  On a more local level(like my backyard) I'm very glad that I decided to concentrate on container gardening to start the season out.  All five of my pots that I put seeds in are well and truly sprouted, with the kale and spinach being further along than the lettuce and swiss chard.

 
 
It's well worth the two minutes it takes me to bring the pots into the house each night, and then to put them all out again in the morning. 
 
By Monday, the weather is expected to shift again, with day time highs being back to a more seasonable mid 60's, and overnight lows about 40ish.  It's really about the time that I need to be visiting Home Depot to start getting things ready for my raised beds.  I suspect this cold snap in the last hurrah, and I should be able to start putting things directly into the ground in about two weeks.   
 


No comments:

Post a Comment