Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

2.11.2012

Taking the hit for the team...

A couple of weeks ago, I addressed the horrible/fascinating fact that Taco Bell was entering the breakfast business.  Since the wife is out of town, and I had some errands to run and then some fun to have, one of my first stops this morning was the drive through at the local Taco Bell for a little First Meal.

Now, since my wife reads this, I would like to clear one things up right away...since this trip was for curiosity, and not satisfying post/during hangover munchies, I did not finish what I purchased.  Now...if it had tasted good enough, I would have finished it...but flat out, the flavor did not justify the calorie/other nasty stuff intake.

I ordered two separate items...a bacon and eggs burrito(one of the cheaper items on the menu), and a sausage and egg crunch wrap.

The bacon and egg burrito was not pleasing.  It's made with their 'bacon topping' and if I ever bought bacon that tasted like this home from the store, I would become a vegetarian on the spot(well, at least I would give up bacon...no reason to let the cows off the hook).  I had two bites, just because I wanted to make sure I tasted what I tasted.

The sausage and egg crunch wrap was not as bad.  Essentially, they take a thin sausage patty, set in the middle of a tortilla, then put some egg and cheese on top of it, and fold the tortilla over the top in a star pattern.  The whole thing is then cooked so it stay a nice little pocket of food.  The sausage, advertised and being made by Johnsonville, was not bad, but the eggs were flavorless.  I ate about half of this one before deciding I would find something tastier to eat than the 300 calories of crunch wrap I had left.

All in all, I would give it a 1.5 out of 5...the burrito was one star, the wrap 2, so it evens out.  The only reason the burrito even gets a star is that it was nice and hot. 

Like we used to say back in the Navy when we had to contend with a particularly unappetizing meal...'It'll make a turd'.  And since this is Taco Bell, it will probably do it in less time that you expect it too....

No comments:

Post a Comment