Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

2.13.2012

One thing to do...

When my wife headed out for the weekend, I asked if there was anything I could do while she was gone, other than catch up on laundry.  With us moving the first week of March, she has already started boxing things up, and so she put me in charge of getting the liquor organized and packed, as well as seeing if I can get started on some dry goods we won't need in the next month.  We probably won't need 12 boxes of macaroni and cheese, so putting 8 of them in a box now will give us less to deal with in a few weeks. 

It only seems right that the liquor is going back in boxes from the liquor store.  I'm proud of myself for being able to make three stops at the liquor store for boxes, and walking out without buying more alcohol.  Which is good, because we don't really need more alcohol. 

A few years ago, the State of Washington announced that they were going raise both taxes, AND the mark-up on liquor in the state run stores, with the end result being a price increase of roughly 20% overnight.  Since unopened hard alcohol has a fairly long shelf-life when kept in a dark, climate control space, I did the right thing, and stocked up before the price increase went into effect. 

How much stocking up?  I'm not rightly sure...after discussing this course of action with my wife, I'd say I bought about $600 worth of hard stuff in the weeks before the increase went effect.  Volume wise...maybe 7 gallons of whisky, rum, vodka and gin, which we still have about 2/3rds of.  It's possible I overestimated our consumption rate.  I packed up 5 boxes worth this weekend, and I haven't even started on the wine yet.

The only positive news, provided to prove me aren't just total derelicts, is that there are twice that many boxes of books packed already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment