Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

2.24.2012

Neat Budget Calculator...

I was playing around on the Tri-Cities Herald website today, and I found this interesting Budget Calculator, that let's you go through and cut program by program to try to balance Washington's Budget for the next two-year period.  Once you've done all your cutting, you can then look at new revenue streams to try to help balance things out.

I spent a while playing with it...and, I'm gonna tell you, it kind of confirmed what I already thought...the problem IS too big to solve by cuts alone. 

Looking at cuts, I was pretty merciless my first time through the list.  Some things are easy:  Save $127 Million by increasing class sizes from 27 to 29?  Sure...we home school.  Change eligibility requirements for disabled and elderly assistance to save $207 Million...yup.  Set-up a list of preferred Generic Drugs for Medicare...save $37 Million.

Then, some decisions are tough, because I am a human being: I kind of look at any kind of health care for children as being sacred...it's not the child's fault they were born into bad situations.  You can save money by cutting probation short for criminals, or letting them out of jail early...but there is no option for 'PUTTING THEM IN THE GROUND' to save money.

In the end, after cutting everything I could justify, I still came up with a $600 Million deficit.  Poop.

The first new revenue was easy...gain $150 Million dollars by legalizing and taxing Mary Jane.  Yup Yup. 

That left me with three big options left to raise money...a 5% Capital Gains tax(+500 Million) an additional 1 cent per dollar sales tax(1 BILLION Dollars) or and option to lower property, while implementing an income tax on couples that make over 400k a year(1.9 BILLION).

Of those choices, I felt the best choice was going with the Capital Gains tax, and then split the difference on the sales tax, and raise it half a penny, not a full penny.  That brings in a combined 1 Billion dollars, meaning I could back off on a few of my cuts(police officers and fire fighter pensions, health insurance costs for teachers) while actually showing a $200 Million surplus.

I doubt anyone will be voting anytime soon, but it does make you appreciate some of the tough decisions our State Legislature's are facing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment