Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

2.04.2012

Hoist with on my own petard.

So, I make no secret of the fact that I am pretty big Robert Heinlein fan.  It's not just his writing I enjoy, but also his ideas.  If I had been around back in the 60's, doubtless I would have joined some 'Groking' commune or something.  Call me easily led.

Earlier in the week, after winning the Florida Primary, Mitt Romney went and stepped in it again, serving up a sound bite where he gave the impression that he is not worried about the very poor, because they have programs and safety nets to support them.  He's worried about the 'middle class' needing help.  Plus, the middle class votes more.

This is a very similar notion to a quote that Mr. Heinlein put in The Notebooks of Lazarus Long:

People who go broke in a big way never miss any meals. It is the poor jerk who is shy a half slug who must tighten his belt. 

Poop...so, Mitt has hit on an idea put forward by my hero.  Guess that means I need to vote for him

The hell it does.  To use a saying my daughter may never understand, even a broke clock it right twice a day. 

I see very few circumstances under which I will vote for Mitt.  On March 3rd, I fully intend to participate in Washington's Republican Caucus, where I will do my best to lobby for Ron Paul.  I have said before that I don't think he can win, and I'm not entirely sure I want him to win...but I am hoping he can use whatever delegates he has to effect...I don't know something.  ANYTHING. 

Any little glimmer that the Republican Party gets it. 

One of the great things about human beings is that it doesn't take much to keep us going.  People have been known to endure great hardship's on very slim chances of success. It's part of the reason that if the Republicans don't show that they are getting it, I have no problem 'throwing my vote away' in the General Election voting for whomever the Libertarian Party trots out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment