Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

12.15.2011

The buck stops here...

As your children get older, you have to let them start doing more and more things on their own. Our 6-year old is at the point where all I do for her now at bath time is set the water temperature for her, then get out of the way.  When bath time is over, we make sure she has a suitable 'shampoo' scent about her, and she gets dried off and dressed herself. 

As nice as that is, I realize that I am still responsible for what happens in the bathroom...like we learned in the navy, you can't delegate responsibility.

I had to remind myself of that this morning.  Without really paying attention, I reached into the tub and got the shower running.  I let the water heat up while I brushed my teeth, and then jumped right into the shower.

Landing in the 8-inches of icy cold water that was still in the tub from last night.  The little bit of new water from the warming shower didn't make much of a difference. 

Talk about a wake up. 

Before I went and dumped a bucket of water in my daughters bed, I remembered that it was ALL MY FAULT.  I didn't follow through on my responsibilities in making sure she properly finished her bath.

Lesson learned.

1 comment: