Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

11.17.2011

Potluck FAIL!

So, today at work, we were having a pre-Thanksgiving potluck.  I signed up to bring stuffing.  If I do say so myself, I make a pretty mean cornbread stuffing, chock full of sausage, apples, and dried cranberries.  It's pretty much a meal unto itself.

Things started out good.  I had to work a double the other night, so my amazing wife cooked up two batches of jiffy cornbread for me, so it could dry on the counter for a day or so.  I got home early yesterday from work, and browned up two pounds of Jimmy Dean sausage, and after dinner, threw together everything, and tossed it in the oven.  It came out of the oven about 9, and I set it on the counter to cool for a bit before I put it in the fridge.

The I made my only real mistake of the evening, sitting next to my wife on the couch to snuggle for a bit.  She was watching some new reality show(Work of Art, about artists with names like THE Sucklord, and no I am not joking).  Soon, I was snoozing.  She woke me up because my snoring was interrupting her viewing pleasure.  So, up the stairs to bed I trudged.

Notice I missed a step there?

When I woke up the next morning, the 5 pounds of stuffing was right where I had left it on the counter.

Poop. 

Did I hate my co-workers enough to take the chance that all that sausage left out at room temperature overnight would hurt them?  For an experiment, I ate a big spoon full before heading upstairs for my shower.  My original idea was using myself as an experiment...if I ate some and didn't feel any ill effects in a few hours...serve it up.  I had worked hard on that stuffing.

Well...I didn't need to wait long...within about half an hour my stomach was making strange noises(and later, smells).  I threw the stuffing out, and picked up three things of frozen mini-eclairs at Safeway on my way into work.

Good thing I already got my one big Thanksgiving cooking mistake out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment