Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

8.17.2013

This seems to happen too much.

Sad story out of Everett, where a 1-year old girl was run over by a car backing out of a driveway. 

The initial story doesn't have many details...no word on if the driver was related to the little girl, or if the girl lived at that residence or not...but, man...what a shame.  It also seems to me that there is story about something like this happening every 2-3 months...some little kid playing around behind a car, and getting run over by someone backing up.  Over half the time, it is a traumatized family member involved in the accident.

From a personal standpoint, I know I am sometimes guilty of backing out without doing a good check behind the car.  At work, the company is big on pushing a 360 degree walk around before getting in a car, and if you have a passenger, the recommend using the passenger as a spotter when you are backing up.  My F-150 has backup sensors, and our Mazda CX-5 has a full on backup camera.  All of this combines to make me fairly complacent on those occasions when I drive our Subaru...which has none of those things.  More than once I have put it in reverse and started rolling without really checking over my shoulder until I'm actually ready to back into the street.

Just a little safety share as we head into the weekend. 

1 comment:

  1. I back into my garage, and try to back into parking spaces when available, or drive through double lots to be going out when starting. It takes a little more time, and is for other reasons, it just usually changes... my perspective on this thing. It would tear me up to do something like that. I'm already a shell of a man for... things. Don't need to make that thinner but we don't get to always make that call, even being careful and cautious, which we can't always be.

    ReplyDelete