Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

8.14.2013

Some of us have to fend for ourselves.

Earlier today, my wife called from the other side of the state to do a little bragging.  It seems that when she stopped at Shari's with the girls for lunch, the waitress approached the table and said that one of the other customers was SOOOOO impressed with the behavior of my children, that she had paid for a pie for my kids to bring home.  Not just a piece of pie to split, but a whole 25,000 calorie Shari's pie.

Being my kids, the chose a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup Pie, and yes, I am proud of both their behavior and their taste. 

However, even though my iron fist was just as responsible for training their good behavior as my wife's velvet glove is, I was not going to get to have any of the rewards.  Even if any of the pie survives a last night at my mom's house tonight, it's not going to survive the 4 hour drive back from Everett.  So, it was up to me to reward myself...and while I was at it, create something to ensure that my wife and kids actually come home tomorrow.

Having a few bananas that need to get used, I took to foodgawker, looking for something to do with bananas...and finally settled on this recipe: Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Upside Down Cake. 

The picture on her blog looks better than mine...might need to get a nicer camera sooner or later. 


Now...if you actually read the recipe, you might realize that my finished cake down not look like it's 9 X 13...and that's because after getting the cake out of the pan, I then dropped the pan on a corner of the cake...so...I got to taste test!

Pretty okay.  Maybe not as good as a Reece's Peanut Butter Pie...but it's a nice change of cake from banana bread.  I just wish I had read the entirety of the directions closer.  I followed the recipe, and then kind of stopped reading...right before the part where she says you should put a baking sheet on your bottom shelf in the oven, because your cake might overflow the 9 X 13 baking pan.

My warning that I had screwed this up was the smoke detector going off.  Live and learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment