Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

8.12.2013

Satisfactory Accuracy

Chores mostly complete for the weekend, I headed to the gun range Sunday morning.  My scouting trip Friday reminded me that I am only three weeks away from the start of deer season, and I think the last time I fired my muzzle loader was Mayish.

6 shots later, I was pretty satisfied.  All of my shots were within 2.5 inches or so of the bulls-eye, even if they weren't within 2.5 inches of each other.  The target wasn't quite a full hundred yards out(maybe 80), and all 6 impacts were 'high'.  Group size(if you want to call it that) was maybe a little over 4 inches.

Meanwhile, 2 spots down, there was an older gentleman with a notepad and a chronograph set up.  A bench rest and varmint shooter, he was trying to bring quarter-size groups down to dimes. 

I mean, look...I'm not 'happy' that I can't shoot a half-inch group with my muzzle loader...but, I don't need to either.  Anyone of those shots I fired today would have anchored Mrs. Mulie or Mr. Elk.  I simply find the accuracy acceptable for it's intended use.  I would NOT be happy with that accuracy at 200 yards with my .35 Whelen, or 100 yards with my AR or lever action .357, or 25 yards with my CZ-75. 

Other than the muzzle loader, I brought the above mentioned AR and Marlin, as well as my S&W 686+.  Had a bit of a problem with the S&W, and I will need to do some trouble shooting to make sure it doesn't happen again.  The ejector rod started unscrewing...and in doing so, it lengthened itself, and gave me a very tough time swinging the cylinder open.  In fact, the only way to get the cylinder open was to use the needle nose pliers on my gerber to tighten the ejector rod back down 1/8th of a turn at a time. 

I don't know of that is something that I might want to lock-tight down or not...but, man, talk about something that would be a major inconvenience in a 'social situation'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment