Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

8.10.2013

Scouting trip

After work yesterday, I decided to jump in my truck and drive down to the Paterson area.  My one previous attempt to go check out my hunting area with the family was a nice little road trip, but revealed precious little deer running around at noon on a 101 degree day.  I figured at least one trip to check out the dusk, and if necessary, the dawn, would be in order while the wife and kids were out of town.

From the point of view of finding deer and scouting, it was a very worthwhile trip.  I probably saw 30-35 deer...and some of them even stood still for me to take multiple pictures of them!

 
 
Even though my muzzle loader tag is only for does, it's nice to know there are bucks there.  Next year, I'll have enough points to have a really good shot at drawing a buck tag for this same special area. 
 
It was nice to have a chance to get out and walk around, too.  From the road, everything looked so flat, but once I got out and did some actual scouting, there were a surprising number of little draws and bowls leading down to the water...and I saw plenty of areas of matter down grass where deer had been bedded down.  It was also a nice quiet opportunity to enjoy nature.
 
Look...sagebrush can be pretty!
All in all, I saw enough deer and enough of the terrain that I don't think I will be motivated enough to go back for a dawn look-see.  The area my tag is good for is only about a 2 X 3 mile block, bird refuge surrounded by corn and soy bean fields.  The deer come in to bed down during the day, and roam to eat at night.  I'm confident if I get in early and sit quietly for a long time, something will walk by me.
 
All it needs is giraffes and it would look like the Serengeti.
 
The only negative from the trip yesterday was the temperature.  At 8 o'clock, when I got back to my truck, it was still 88 degrees.  My hunting season opens 3 weeks from tomorrow, and I can't see it cooling down more than a couple of degrees between now and then.  I see a LOT of sweating in my future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment