Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

4.12.2013

May have to re-read the book.

Yesterday, cruising around the internet with time to kill, I came across the movie trailer for the new version of The Great Gatsby coming out this summer.  Now...The Great Gatsby is not normally the kind of movie I would pay to see in the theaters.  I try to save that money from movies that REALLY benefit from the big screen/loud speakers treatment...classics like the last three Transformers movies, for instance. 

The Great Gatsby I was forced to read in Junior High didn't feel like it would make that kind of movie...but it's possible that my teacher had us read the wrong version of the book.




Like I said...that's a little different than I remembered the book. 

Now...as you can tell by the BIG lettering if you actually watched the trailer, this movie is directed by the same guy that did Moulin Rouge, which was not exactly every one's cup of tea, although my wife and I quite enjoyed it.  It's very possible that the flash and style and pomp will work.  That is a good bunch of actors, and so the leads are not going to be the weak spot. 

I'm just not sure I will spend movie theater money to see this one instead of The Wolverine, or Iron Man 3, or Pacific Rim, or even World War Z.  If I really want to see a remake of a movie based on book, a pretty kick-ass version of Carrie is coming out in October. 

1 comment:

  1. I have been forced to quit watching movies. I won't line an actor, producer, or Hollywood execs pocket only to, most likely, in a dozen little and big ways, have them spit in my face, on- and off-screen.

    My last lady friend suggested I lacked fortitude, I suggested what she lacked, then proved it. Then there was a nasty little suggestion about 'being used to being on her back'. Ah... a week of silence. Beautiful. :p

    I am not sure I am marriage material though. Uhrm, so ymmv.

    ReplyDelete