Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

4.28.2013

Looks can be deceiving.

I like making pancakes for my kids.  Oh, who am I kidding...I like making pancakes for me, and there is just no polite way to make them for myself without giving some to the kids also. 

As for the kids, they are happy with any old type of pancakes, and so usually, I just use Krusteaz mix, and add things like craisens, or chocolate chips, or peanut butter to jazz them up. 

Occasionally though, I'll get motivated/bored enough to try something...fancy.  Earlier in the week, I had opened a can of cherries that my wife put away last summer, and looking to do something with them, I hunted down a chocolate pancake recipe.  To that recipe I added most of a pint of bing cherries, and a half cup or so of dark chocolate chips.


 
 
As you can tell, the after picture looks a bit better than the before, which is good, because I was horrified when I put the first batch on the skillet. 
 
Following the advise at the blog I stole this from, I skipped the syrup, but did do a bit of butter before dusting them with powdered sugar.  Syrup would have been too much.  As it was, my younger daughter, who calls herself The Pancake Queen, pulled up lame half-way through her second one, although she forced down another few bites after she said she was done.  

2 comments:

  1. Chocolate pancakes always taste better than we photograph. Cherries, a nice touch.

    We did malted chocolate ones for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!

    We usually splurge on the buttermilk pancake mix from King Arthur Flour (speaking of which, I need to order more), but then we're not feeding them to bottomless pits otherwise known as children.....

    ReplyDelete