Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

4.20.2013

I DO like it better...

A few weeks ago, in what might have been a throw away type post for her, Tamara posted a comment that 'If it'll fit in your trouser pockets, I'd climb over a pile of mini-380s to get to a six-shot .32 H&R/.327 Mag J-frame'.

That thought has kind of been rattling around my brain pan since I read it.  I own a mini .380(Kel-Tec P3AT) and while I don't own an honest to gosh J-Frame, I do own a Taurus 731UL in .32 H&R Magnum, which is close enough for this discussion.  Because of the ease with which the Kel-Tec goes into a pocket.  Meanwhile, the Taurus sits and sits in the safe, gathering dust.


Yeah...at one point I was so enamored with this gun that I told my wife I wanted the hammer bobbed for a birthday gift.  Then it went away, to the shelf of forgotten guns because it doesn't fit in a pocket as easily as the Kel-Tec. 

Anyway, because of Tamara's post, when I went to the range with my wife earlier this week, I decided to bring the Taurus along. 

Damn...Tamara was sooooo right...from a shooting standpoint(which is kind of the point of carrying a gun), the revolver is the winner.

Let's see...accuracy: Taurus.  Trigger Pull: Taurus.  Reliability: Taurus.  Caliber: Taurus(85gr .32 H&R loads have about 20% more energy than 90gr .380 loads).  Capacity: Kel-tec...7 vs. 6(with one in the pipe).  With a reload, this becomes 13 vs. 12...not a HUGE difference.  Concealeabilty:  Kel-Tec.  In an Uncle Mike's Pocket Holster, I can stick the Kel-tec in ANY pocket, and it works.  Not so with the Taurus.

So yeah...the old saw: A gun should be comforting, not comfortable.  I know that...I also know that because of where I work, I never get used to carrying.  Whenever I try carrying anything bigger than the Kel-tec, I just feel very...conspicuous.  Now...that is with the caveat that I have never spent the required money for a NICE holster/belt. 

Now that I see that I really do like the revolver better, the time has come for some grown up leather. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of a pocket pistol, but honestly? I can put a full sized .45 in my pocket and still draw it rather quickly, especially in a shielding holster (that eliminates printing). Those little pistols, well, are like children's toys. Some I can't hold and get my finger in the trigger area. My problem with a full .45 is the weight. I can cinch the belt well enough, but it still sags. What I need is a six round .357 with no more than a 2" barrel. It would be about the same, or less, than your pistol for your pocket, compared.

    Sorry, I just love me some gun talk. And I am a bit jealous of those who can use the tiny poppers. A bit. :p

    As for viability... really, pocket pistols, any pistol actually, it's all about putting the bullet in the right place. Lots of people have been killed assaulting old guys and women armed only with .22s.

    ReplyDelete