Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

4.03.2013

A moment of weakness.

In our attempt to embrace the urban homestead/increased self-sufficiency lifestyle, I planted to plum trees in the yard, and got several containers of greens going good and early.  Soon we(my back doing the work) will put in a few raised beds for real veggies. 

Now, after two weeks of being constantly beset upon by my wife and kids, we made a purchase today which will lead to more work:

 
 
Yup...our very own 'chicken tractor'.  Next step would be getting the chickens.  I guess that might be kind of backwards, but we found this on craigslist for a very fair price.  So fair that we decided if we were going to do this anytime in the next 6 months, that we should get the coop/tractor now. 
 

However, now that we actually have the place to put the chickens, I'm sure the chicks will be here shortly.

As soon as we figure out what kind we want...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have looked into chickens myself. I had hoped I could... arrange my life a bit better by now, but it doesn't seem to be happening and I won't starve critters, or otherwise just let them go. Still, while considering it, I looked over quite a bit of information.

    As to which chicken, or several types? The first thing is to decide what you want the chickens for. Exotic pets? Then choose rare breeds. Eggs, meat, both? Where you live, what the weather is like, is another thing. Eggs? What size, even color, of egg, do you want? (for me, brown, large, though it doesn't really matter). Oh, and how loud do you want them?

    This is all very good and nice, and with what seems like a hundred breeds... a chart might be nice. Some charts appear to be written in schizophrenia, which I don't read. And there are guides where you check things off, like this one. There are better ones, but I can't find one that was perfect, with sound, size, weather 'rating', egg color and size, and bird use. Look around.

    Then again, maybe you will just go with what you, you all, she, or they like(s). Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete