Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

4.07.2013

Gobble, Gobble.

I know...it's not Thanksgiving, but back when it was Thanksgiving and turkey was cheap, we bought a couple of extras to go in the freezer for 'later.  With a cold front scheduled to pass through this weekend keeping temperatures in the low 60's, my wife asked me if this would be the ideal 'later' weekend instead of waiting until the temperature is in the 90's. 

Smart girl.


It was much nicer firing up the oven today than it would have been two months from now.  I was a little worried about the turkey, because I didn't brine it, but it still came out okay.  Other than the lack of brine, I follow Alton Brown's recipe...stuff the cavity with onion and apple and sage, then blast it at 500 for a half an hour, and finish it at 350. 

Other than open face turkey sandwich's, the rest of it went into the freezer to be used later.  Out of curiosity, I weighed everything out before putting it in the freezer(something I rarely have time to do when trying to get an actual Holiday meal on the table.)  From a 12.5 pound bird, I got about 4.5 pounds of meat.  I think I left a little behind, and if I had just pressure cooked the bird until it fell apart, I might have been able to get an extra half a pound or so...but it wouldn't have tasted as good as roasted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment