Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

5.13.2012

Being ready at home

Scary story out of Tacoma this week about another one of those frightening bold 'home invasion' type robberies.

In home invasion, Tacoma pair experience three hours of terror

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/05/11/2140613/in-home-invasion-tacoma-pair-experience.html#storylink=omni_popular#storylink=cpy

That's a heck of a way to spend your Thursday evening...being made to sit on the stairs with a gun in your mouth, while a couple of punks take the rings off your fingers, and rip the necklaces from around your throat.

I know some people who claim they are always armed...that they carry even around the house. 

I don't.  Not to fill you in too graphically, but as summer approaches, and things warm up in the house, most evenings will find me clothed in a way which doesn't promote having a gun on me...light pull up gym shorts, and a t-shirt.  That's not exactly load bearing equipment, so, if someone was to break through the sliding window in the back of the house, I wouldn't really have much close at hand.

My wife and I have talked about the wisdom of stashing some 'room guns' around the house.  Go pick up three or four additional quick action lock boxes, and bolt them into cabinets in the kitchen, and living room closet, maybe even the bathroom.  It certainly isn't as 'tactical' as always carrying, but it might give me a chance in a situation like this.

Once again...I'm not Jason Bourne.  Whether the gun is on my person or not, if three guys break down my front door with no warning, and are in my living room with hands on the triggers, I'm not going to try to outdraw them.  Maybe though, if it's only two guys, and they get careless, you can get to a gun...you've got a chance. 

Gosh, I have to say it beats sitting on the stairs for 3 hours, constantly worried if at the end, these guys are going to decide you have seen 'too much'.  I mean...you have to think they only reason these folks are still alive is because the criminals made a conscious decision to let them live, knowing that the police aren't going to work quite as hard to crack a robbery, and they would be to try to solve a double homicide. 

I don't know about you, but I would rather take my chance on recovering my S&W out of the kitchen cabinet, than counting on the criminals to be that 'forward thinking'.

2 comments:

  1. Rather than stashing quick action lock boxes (isn't that an oxymoron) in multiple rooms, the simplest solution would seem to be reinforcing the doors/windows? 2x4s are still (relatively) cheap, and don't require Jason Bourne (or even your presence, should you be buying groceries when the mooks arrive)....

    ReplyDelete
  2. A small caliber pistol in a pocket holster is an easy carry option.

    You devote one pocket to always have that pistol in it, and just forget about it.

    It certainly beats letting some punk shove a pistol barrel in your mouth.

    ReplyDelete