Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

4.01.2011

Well, that's a fine 'How do you do'...

Just got finished settling in to our hotel room here in beautiful Portland, Oregon.  It's a very nice room, and free for us, as we are still using the Mariott points I earned during the 7 months I spent in New York, working for the shipyard.

We are on the top floor, and have a decent view out our window.






The only jarring note so far was a little slip of paper that was slid into our room key-card envelope that says:

'During your stay, $1 per night will be added to your bill to support the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and Clean the World Charities.  We appreciate you contributions to help our community.  If you would like this removed from your bill please contact the front desk staff.'

It's only a dollar...but...really!!?!?!?!?  Diabetes is bad, and as my wife just said...how can you say no to little kids with diabetes?  I don't want to say no to them, I want to buy them chocolate chips cookies(sugar free, of course.)  What kind of an ass could call the front desk and tell the cute young lady down at the front desk he doesn't want to help little kids with diabetes?  Not this kind of ass, I'll tell you that.

As for Clean the World...ummm...I did some research.  Clean the World collects all the left over soap nuggets that people leave behind them in hotel rooms, puts them through different processes depending on how worn down they are, and then distributes them to needy people throughout the world. 

I would love to see the mathematical proof on how recycling/sterilizing(especially the sterilizing after I use it in the shower) soap is more cost effective than just making more soap.

I'm still not a big enough to call downstairs and make them remove the charge, but maybe I can convince my wife to call downstairs and say we want all our 'donation' to go the Diabetes fund..

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Nothing like a little subtle coercion to go with the nice view! For a good cause, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I'd do it! They are banking on just your reaction, and I would be pretty irritated. I have a religious prohibition against giving money to people who annoy me.

    ReplyDelete