Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

4.26.2011

Easy A

Over the weekend, my wife and I snuggled in on the couch to watch a movie.  SWMBO selected 'Easy A'.  She had heard that it was funny, and one of the best 'Teen Comedy's' to come along since John Hughes stopped directing movies.   I had not heard that, but I did know that the movie had a very high esthetic appeal  Emma Stone in it.






Emma is an actress on her way up in the world.  The only movie I previously remember seeing her in was Zombieland, where she played Witchita.  She has been cast to play Gwen Stacy in the newest Spider Man reboot, and I can almost forgive her coloring her beautiful natural red hair blah blonde...it has the potential to be a big enough movie series. 

Okay...the movie was really funny...and the claims my wife had made about it being one of the funniest teen movies since John Hughes are not totally unfounded.  I mean, I'm not a teenager anymore, but it's the funniest teenager based movie I have seen since American Pie. 

Emma Stone plays Olive, and like all stunningly hot red-heads, she is unpopular...or at least not as popular as she wishes she was.  Quite by accident while trying to dodge a weekend camping trip with her best-friends goofy family, she ends up lying about how she spent her weekend.  The story she spins involves a sexual tryst with a college kid, and begins changing her reputation in what she considers a positive way.

Soon she is making up similar stories for other downtrodden boys at school, and she begins to embrace the 'tramp' image...which is cool because she wears a lot of bustiers.  Because they are reading the Scarlet Letter in class, she begins sewing A's on all her clothes.  The Christian Chastity group doesn't like this, and eventually sentiment in the school begins turning against her.  The plot comes to a head when one of the boys she doesn't really sleep with gets chlamydia, and blames it on her anyway. 

I found the movie very enjoyable, and would rate it very high as a 'hour and a half distraction' movie.  About 20 minutes into the movie, my wife made a valid observation, that 5 years ago, Lindsay Lohan would have played the part being played by Emma Stone, and done just as well.  What I can't picture is anyone else playing the roles of Emma's parents...Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson were PERFECT.  They are the type of character actors who make movies like this. 

Giving it 4 stars out of 5...the only thing neither my wife or I could believe was that this movie was rated PG-13.  Granted...there is no real nudity, but the whole topic of the movie is sexual promiscuity...I think I heard every sexual innuendo I had ever heard in this movie, and learned a few new ones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment