Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

4.12.2011

Privacy

Privacy is a touchy kind of thing.  When I first started blogging, I was very uncertain how much I wanted to put out in the open as far as names, either of people or places. 

To clear things up right up front using Navy terminology, when it comes to computers and the internet, I am very much an Operator, and not a Technician.  On the computer, I am pretty much limited to what Window's will let me do...I'm not the type that knows how to 'work around' the system.  On the internet itself, I was smart enough to figure out how to start using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.  That's about it for me. 

What I'm getting at is I realize how silly it is to think that by not using actual names, I am actually protecting myself.  I am 100% certain that just by registering to use blogger, a computer savvy someone could have figured out who I am, and with only a little more work have given you my address and credit rating.  Being vague is not going to stop that from happening. 

Why be vague then?  Or more correctly put....since I agree that with minimal work someone could figure out exactly who and where I am, what am I trying to protect myself from?  Well...put away the tin-foil...I'm really not trying to protect myself from The Man.  I am worried about maintaining my gainful employment. 

A month or two ago, TJIC reinforced for a lot of us that what you say on the internet can and will be used against you in the real world.  My concerns when I first started this blog is that...I like to rant.  Most of the bloggers I read seem to have that same trait.  Luckily for me, while I don't always have the best internal filter, I do have an amazing wife who will act as my 'sanity check' if I get a little too extreme...so, I'm really not worried about the Po-Po's showing up to take all my guns based off something I put on my blog.

So, while I am not likely to run off too much inciting violence, I have been known to head down the dark path of railing against certain government policies.  I know, this is a common past time for many people, so I am not unique in this hobby...but, I am somewhat concerned that my position as someone employed by the Federal Government might expose me to a risk that others wouldn't face.  Paranoid maybe?  Sure...but it's not like it doesn't happen. 

Conflicting with my desire to shield myself from firing because I pick on The Man's Spending Habit's is my desire to show off my amazing family.  Which is why I talked to my wife today about wanting to be able to post pictures of her beautiful self for her birthday.  And she agreed that it was unlikely any additional people would stalk us than already are just based of putting pictures of her and the kids on my blog that is viewed by fewer people than look at my facebook everyday.

Look at us, living dangerously!

No comments:

Post a Comment