Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

4.11.2011

Used to be...

Once upon a time, there was a saying: 'Cash is King.'

It's kind of how my wife and I have always tried to live our lives...whenever possible, we have used cash to make our purchases.  If we knew we were going to buy something like a new TV, or beds, we would just maximum ATM withdrawal's for a couple of days, then go buy what we wanted to buy. 

Why?

I don't know...if I had to rationalize it I would say it made spending the money 'more real'.  My opinion was that checks and credit cards divorce you from what you are actually spending.  Did we occasionally get some strange looks, like the time I pulled out $750 cash to pay for a new T.V at Best Buy?  Oh sure...but, it does say 'legal tender' on the bill.

Today when my wife dropped the Subaru off for it's body work, she asked the lady working the front desk if they offered a cash discount.  My wife said there was a few minutes of stunned silence before the lady answered 'ma'am...you owe enough money to buy your husband a new AR and 500 rounds of ammo!'(well, that wasn't what she said).  My wife acknowledged that, but said the bank was right down the road, and she was more than willing to stop if there was a discount for cash.

Alas, there was no cash discount...it could just be the auto-body shop didn't want large amounts of cash on their premises overnight.

Maybe they need an armed security guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment