Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

4.14.2011

Bug-out Bag Bootie!

Very pleased with Amazon.com right now.  Placed an order Sunday evening for some things to get a long-overdue jump-start on our bug-out bags, and a box with 5 of the 6 items showed up today. 

The internet is cool.






A painfully much more detailed review of the individual items will follow, but let's see what we have. 

A Coleman Exponent stove, which I chose over smaller, lighter stoves because of it's ability to run on Coleman Fuel, Unleaded Gasoline, OR Kerosene.  That flexibility could prove useful at some point, and is well worth an extra couple of ounces.  Maybe we'll put that in my wife's bag.

Next to that is an MSR Miniworks EX Microfilter.  I chose that over one of the other MSR or Katadyn filters because you can remove the ceramic filter, clean it, and use it some more.  The little red box behind the filter is a maintenance kit, that contains extra gaskets/or-rings.  Figure it might come in handy to have spares like that. 

Finally, I purchased two different 'compact' multi-tools...a Leatherman Squirt PS4, and a Gerber 'Bear Grylls' Compact Multi-tool.  I purchased two of them so that my wife could figure out which she likes better...my initial feeling though is that each might be more 'compact' that I thought they would be...more pocket sized than bug-out sized.  In fact, SWMBO has already said she can't wait to put the Leatherman on her key-chain...which might make the decision about which one goes in the back-pack easier. 

If anyone needs me, I'm going to be in the bathroom, playing with my new filter.  SWMBO won't let me siphon gas out of my truck to play with the stove. 

No comments:

Post a Comment