Why?

Adventures of a Modern Day, Middle-Aged Hero, on the Glory Road(to family security)

4.28.2014

For every victory, a defeat.

Yesterday, I went to move a few things around in the freezer, and while doing so a few bananas fell out, almost landing on my toes.  To punish them, I moved them to the kitchen to thaw, while I went searching for a recipe to use them on. 

I settled on Banana Nutella Swirl Muffins.


If you look really close at the middle one in the front, it appears to have an actual 'swirl'.  The others, not so much.  If I could critique my technique, I think I didn't heat the nutella up quite enough...it was resistant to 'swirling'. 

These muffins were pretty dense and filling.  If you do the math, each one has a third of a banana in it. 

Quite tasty though....kid approved.

As for my failure...no pictures exist of it.  I started a pot of black beans this morning.  Since  I didn't soak them, I boiled them for about half-an-hour, then dumped and replaced the water, before adding some seasoning.  I then turned the heat up to high, and went to change into rattier clothes for yard work.

I meant to turn the heat back down to low, low, low before going outside...but I kind of forgot.  I had been outside about an hour when I started smelling something coming from inside the house...no smoke, but not a pleasant smell either.  I called in and asked my wife if she could go to the kitchen to check on the beans.

It was not pretty.  The pan is still soaking in the sink as I type this.

Luckily, my wife is squared away, and we have several pounds of precooked beans in the freezer.  We have canned too, but I prefer to save those for a work night when time is more 'of the essence'.

No comments:

Post a Comment